practicing democracy during a pandemic

This post has had so many re-writes over the last weeks. I originally wanted to comment on how the novel corona virus was being handled in the US (not very well at all) and the reasons for the poor handling. Next was Bidens’ winning rout through South Carolina. Then there was Super Tuesday (and the start of early voting here in Florida on the same day) and Biden’s continued rout through the Super Tuesday voting states. By the time the dust had cleared, Biden had the lead in delegates, and four candidates had dropped out, with three of them endorsing Biden. Elizabeth Warren, the last of the four to leave, has yet to endorse either Biden or Sanders, and I can understand that. She fought long and hard, harder than anybody still standing, and had articulated pretty clearly what, why, and most importantly how she would execute her platform if elected President. I feel we have lost the better candidate with Warren’s exit, better than Biden, and certainly better than Sanders.

A week ago Biden picked up the three ‘M’ states in primary voting, which included Michigan, Sander’s so-called fire-wall state, the state he had to win. He lost it big time to Biden. Then this past Tuesday more states (Illinois, Arizona and Florida) overwhelmingly chose Biden. I helped by voting for Biden the first day of early voting.

So let’s talk about Sanders for a moment. Back in 2016 I wrote a positive post about Sanders, titled “Feel the Bern”. I have since come to regret those feelings, but I leave the post up as a reminder of how stupid I can be at times. It is my opinion that Sanders was in part responsible for the election of Trump, and I find his candidacy for 2020 to be wrong for the Democratic Party and wrong for the country. If by some miracle he was elected we’d have four worse years than we’ve had under Trump, and I consider Trump’s presidency God-awful to the extreme. I can’t prove it, but my gut tells me that Sander’s Bernie Bro’s helped to torpedo Warren’s candidacy. Sanders was in many ways attempting to beat Biden with tactics far too similar those employed by Trump and his minions. At this point it may not matter. Based on the results from this last Tuesday, various news reports have it that Sanders is considering whether he should stay in as a candidate. We shall have to wait on his decision; I sure can’t predict what he may or may not do.

If there’s one thing that COVID-19 has shown it’s that the current president it grossly unfit to be given four more years. If we’d jumped on COVID-19 when it first appeared and prepared ourselves, I have no doubt whatsoever that we could have contained it far better than we currently have. Biden has to become our next president, or we as a nation will come to an ignominious end as a democratic republic.

some facts about americans

Such a fine way to start the month of December. I spend as little time as possible on Twitter, let alone quote from it, because it’s been such a hot mess for many years. It was, and still is, one of the key vectors used to distort the 2016 election. But this morning I found this tweet and felt it worth quoting in total. I’ve checked the numbers via alternate sources and they are reasonably correct. It’s their interpretation that is more dramatic than needs to be.

That 20% at the bottom is derived from dividing the number of Trump voters by the total US population. If you divide Trump voters by the total number of eligible US voters, you get 26%. If you divide Trump voters by the total US eligible voters who actually voted, you get 46%.

Regardless of which percentage you choose, it’s still a damning indictment showing Trump did not win the majority of the popular vote. He won by gaming the US electoral college with out-an-out lying and considerable help from his friends in Moscow. And those are true facts to consider.

One more statistic that damns US voters: out of 250,000,000 registered voters, only 56%, a little more than half, bothered to vote in 2016. We need to bring that percentage up in order to beat Trump in 2020 as well as clean out the Trump enablers in the Senate.