the very definition of insanity – trying to make google flutter work

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I’m giving up on Flutter. After finally getting everything installed, configured, and mastering the basic tutorials (see here), I managed to get several demo apps running on the iPhone X simulator. And then, with the release of Flutter 0.11.13, it all went to hell in a handbasket. Flutter doctor is now producing the following:

Doctor summary (to see all details, run flutter doctor -v):
[✓] Flutter (Channel beta, v0.11.13, on Mac OS X 10.14.1 18B75, locale en-US)
[✓] Android toolchain - develop for Android devices (Android SDK 27.0.3)
[!] iOS toolchain - develop for iOS devices (Xcode 10.1)
    ✗ Verify that all connected devices have been paired with this computer in Xcode.
      If all devices have been paired, libimobiledevice and ideviceinstaller may require updating.
      To update with Brew, run:
        brew update
        brew uninstall --ignore-dependencies libimobiledevice
        brew uninstall --ignore-dependencies usbmuxd
        brew install --HEAD usbmuxd
        brew unlink usbmuxd
        brew link usbmuxd
        brew install --HEAD libimobiledevice
        brew install ideviceinstaller
[✓] Android Studio (version 3.2)
[✓] IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate Edition (version 2018.3)
[✓] Connected device (3 available)

I followed the brew directions not once, but twice. I then went and deleted the entire flutter folder, downloaded the current zip file, unzipped it, and ran Flutter doctor again. Same issue.

I have neither the time nor the patience to go trolling through fora on the Internet trying to find the magic solution. I’ve got better things to do with my time. So, here’s what I’m going to do. I’m deleting Flutter again, and when it’s finally officially released, maybe I’ll try it again. But until then I’ll stick with XCode on my MBP.

Update 4 December

Google announced the release of Flutter 1.0 today. Downloaded it, unzipped it, same issues as with the beta. Deleted it again.